If you've ever visited Turkey you will be familiar with the queue to get an entry (tourist) visa on arrival. Often taking half an hour or more in scorching summer heat, this can be an unpleasant experience and not the welcome to Turkey that you hoped for. Fortunately though, you can now bypass the queues and apply for a visa from the comfort of your own home; allowing you to skip past the stamp queue and go straight to the passport desks.
The purchase experience is relatively quick and typically takes under 5 minutes. You will need to have your credit card, passport and travel dates to hand. In this guide we walk you through the entire process step-by-step.
e-Visa comments and limitations:
- The e-Visa application is currently only for ONE person, for groups you must go through the process and payment for EACH applicant.
- Payment is currently via credit (or debit) card only and is in US Dollars. Please note that if your bank charges fees for foreign currency payments, the $20 transaction may end up costing you considerably more than the £10 wou would pay at the airport.
- You may apply for a visa with a start date up to 6 months in the future.
- The e-Visa tourist visa is the electronic equivalent to the "old" sticker type available on arrival into Turkey (the "old" sticker type visa will continue to be available on arrival into Turkey).
- Both the e-Visa and the "old" sticker type are valid for ANY 90 days within a 180 day period. They are valid for MULTIPLE ENTRIES into Turkey (within the 180 day validity period of the visa). If you require a stay of more than 90 days within a 180 day period you should apply for an extension or residency permit.
- For further information and help about the tourist visa, please consult the Bodrum Bulletin Turkish Tourist Visa Calculator.
e-Visa application process; step-by-step
- Visit the application page at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/apply/
- Fill in the details regarding your nationality and passport information, complete the security verification field, then click "Save and Continue"
- Select the date of your entry INTO turkey:
- You should now see a preview of your visa:
- 26th April 2013 (the date in the left box), is your ENTRY into Turkey date (visa start date)
- 22nd October 2013 (the date in the right box), is the visa expiry date - this is 180 days from the entry date (as shown underneath "90 days")
- "90 Days" refers to the number of days you can stay in Turkey between the visa start date and the visa expiry date.
- The price will be shown in the bottom right; at the time of writing prices are in US Dollars only, and for ONE person only. Click "Save and Continue".
- On the next page you will need to fill in details of the applicant. Submit this form and you should see a successful application message;
- You will now be sent a confirmation email which contains a link to continue with your purchase. Typically you should receive this email within a minute or so, if you
do not receive it please check your spam folders.
- In the email check the details are correct and if so click the "Approve" link
- You will now be taken to a credit card payment screen, enter your payment details and click "Make Payment"
- Your payment will now be processed. Once successful the next screen will show a confirmation and a download link to a PDF of your visa;
- All that remains now is to click the link and print the PDF then keep it in a safe place! You may check the status of your application online at any time by clicking the "I have an ongoing application" box (see step 2).